Monday, November 19, 2012

The History of the Cupcake



When you eat a cupcake you typically don’t ask how cupcakes came to be. Today I asked that question. The cupcake dates back to 1828 in E. Leslie’s ‘Receipts’.  People back then started to bake cupcakes by measuring the ingredients using cups instead of weighing them. Measuring the ingredients is revolutionary in the baking world because it saved time in the kitchen. Cupcakes were also easier to cook in a hearth oven because their pans were smaller. What has now become part of our childhood became popular in the 1900’s
             There are two theories about why the cupcakes are named what they are. One theory comes from the amount of ingredients used to make cupcakes. People used cups to measure the ingredients such as a cupful of flour and a cupful of sugar. The other theory comes from the fact they were baked in cups such as tea cups. Which theory do you think is true? Do you think both theories are true? Do you think there is another theory?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that the theory of cupcakes being baked in cups is the true one. It sounds more simple and like a good reason to name the cupcakes that. I personaly have never wondered were the name came from but it is interesting to learn about others theories. Are thoes the only two?

Unknown said...

Hey, Sarah Jane! I loved visiting your blog, but after reading all the spectacular things about cupcakes it made me quite hungry! Cupcakes are wonderful bakery foods and I have always wondered just how they came to be and how they got their name. Well, now I know the answer thanks to your wonderful post about the history of the cupcake! It was interesting to see just how old cupcakes are! I think that both of the theories that you discussed are true, but I also think that there are many more theories behind the name. I love your blog about cupcakes!